So a few people have asked for my dairy and gluten free gingerbread recipe – I feel a bit guilty about posting this, because I’m pretty sure I don’t have the recipe right yet. It’s very much a work in progress. If you try it for yourself and add any tweaks that improve on it, please let me know! In particular I think the mix of flours could use work…
Gingerbread Personages (gluten and dairy free)
1.5 cups potato flour
2 cups rice flour
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1-2 tsp ground ginger
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
2/3 cup treacle
140g pureed apple
1. Mix wet stuff in one bowl, and dry stuff in another bowl.
2. Mix contents of two bowls together; stir well, should end up a soft and sticky dough
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour (overnight also good)
4. Pre-heat oven to 180?C (350?F)
5. Heavily flour (any gluten free option – rice, potato, corn) your cutting board & rolling pin. Carefully roll out gingerbread a small handful at a time to 1cm or so thick.
6. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters – gingerbread people, daleks, rabbits, whatever you have handy.
7. Place shapes on oven tray lined with baking paper. Leave a couple of cm between each but they shouldn’t spread that much.
8. Bake for 8-9 minutes.
9. DO NOT LEAVE IN HOT OVEN, COOL IN FRESH AIR ON WIRE TRAYS (sorry for shouting, just telling my future self)
10. Should make about 3 trays worth of biscuits.
You can decorate with icing made from pure icing sugar & water/eggwhite, bits of dried fruit, or any other dairy & gluten-free tidbit.